Monday, February 2, 2009

The love of my life...

So this is my first blog and though I was struggling at first to decide what to do.  I realized I should dedicate it my first to my true love...Mr. Jimi Hendrix.  Born Johnny (later changed to James) Allen Hendrix on Novemeber 27, 1942 in Seattle, Washington.  He is known as a guitarist, singer and songwriter.  Though Jimi never learned how to read music, he single-handedly created a new form of music with his  electric guitar.  His music is classified as classic rock, pschyadelic rock and blue-rock.  His inspirations came through a variety of musicians such as Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Little Richard and blues music by Muddy Waters and B.B. King.

Jimi got his first guitar at age 15 which replaced the broomstick he used to pretend was a guitar.   Well, at least I'm not the only one who used to do that...

Hey Joe was Jimi's first hit single and what made his manager, Chas Chandler (bassist of The Animals), fall in love with this never before heard music.  Soon after in London, The Jimi Hendrix Experience was formed with bassist Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchell.  Are You Experienced was the bands first album and my personal favorite.  There are multiple earth-shattering songs and many of my favorites: Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Love or Confusion, Are You Experienced?, Purple Haze and The Wind Cries Mary. 

His second album, Axis: Bold As Love which featured songs most would know like: Castles Made of Sand, If 6 Was 9, Little Wing and Bold As Love.  And third album, Electric Ladyland with four sides of the track.  Voodoo Chile, All Along the Watchtower, Gypsy Eyes and Have You Ever Been (to Electric Ladyland) are my personal favorites from this album.  

Along with his music, Hendrix's unconventional and enticing personality made his music more contagious in the infamous 1960s lifestyle and hippie movement.  Below are pictures where you can see how his fashion is detailed with scarves, rings, brooches and medallions.  It is said that while he was touring the UK, one of the few possessions he carried throughout the tour were hair curlers to emulate Bob Dylan's hairstyle.
    

In my opinion the music Jimi Hendrix made with Redding and Mitchell will never be forgotten, no matter.  I think that only a handful of musicians will ever have that reputation, Elvis Presley and The Beatles are among them.  

Well, I hope you enjoyed my first post...I'll leave you with a link that will lead you to a video of one of my favorite songs.  I wish I was there!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hSW67ySCio

No comments:

Post a Comment