"I get the tune and then I just keep on singing the tune until the words come out from the tune. It's kind of a hypnotic state that you reach after a while when you keep on playing it where words just evolve from it. So you take those words and just let them go whichever way they want... 'Moonshadow'? Funny, that was in Spain, I went there alone, completely alone, to get away from a few things. And I was dancin' on the rocks there... right on the rocks where the waves were, like, blowin' and splashin'. Really, it was so fantastic. And the moon was bright, ya know, and I started dancin' and singin' and I sang that song and it stayed. It's just the kind of moment that you want to find when you're writin' songs."
Great quote. Of all people Cat Stevens has had a crazy life. Born Steven Demetre Georgiou, he has sold over 60 million albums around the world since the late 1960s. Steven chose the stage name "Cat Stevens" because an ex girlfriend told him he had eys like a cat. Also because, "I couldn't imagine anyone going to the record store and asking for 'that Steven Demetre Georgiou album'." Around 1977 Cat Stevens adopted his Muslim name, Yusuf Islam. He left the music world behind in 1979 to devote himself to his religion and to educational purposes in the Muslim community.
In his early years Cat had two near death experiences. At age 19, in 1968, he was really sick with tuberculosis and a collapsed lung. He was near death when admitted into the King Edward VII Hospital. He spent months in the hospital and up to a year recovering from his illness. He was quoted saying: "To go from the show business environment and find you are in hospital, getting injections day in and day out, and people around you are dying, it certainly changes your perspective. I got down to thinking about myself. It seemed almost as if I had my eyes shut." Soon after leaving the hospital he began taking yoga and meditation lessons and became a vegetarian. While in the hospital Cat wrote up to 40 songs. All of these much more introspective and serious than his prior work.
In 1976, nearly drowning off the coast of Malibu, California Stevens claimed he shouted: "Oh God! If you save me I will work for you." And right after he said that, a wave pushed him back to shore. This was the incident that made him look more into religion. As a Christmas present, Cat's brother gave him the Qur'an, and he immediately felt connected to it. That's why he changed his name to Yusuf (the Muslim name for Joseph).
It's crazy to think how certain event can completely alter your lifestyle. Cat Stevens is one of the most successful classic rock/folk singers ever, and he traded it in for a life serving God. Do what you gotta do man, is all I have to say. He is very well aware that this change leaves fans wondering why. And in an interview he was quoted saying "to some people, it may have seemed like an enormous jump, but for me, it was a gradual move to this." And another quote, which I totally agree with gives a little more reasoning to his decision. "I had found the spiritual home I'd been seeking for most of my life. And if you listen to my music and lyrics, like "Peace Train" and "On The Road To Find Out", it clearly shows my yearning for direction and the spiritual path I was travelling."
In the end, who is anyone to judge? He is still an incredible musician and has music that will last through the years, regardless of his name or religion. And by the way, PLEASE, I am begging you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check out:
Cat Stevens, Wild World on youtube.com. It is my favorite song, the lyrics, the music, it all comes together and makes a great song! You have to check it out. . . do it right now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment