Thursday, April 23, 2009

From the beginning

Music has always been a huge part of my life.  When I was younger, every night my dad would sing a Temptations song to put me to sleep.  Therefore, I know (and I can say this with confidence) every single song the Temptations have ever sung.  

But the Temptations, by no means, can be classified as classic rock.  So when did the power and soul of rock enter my life? My parents had a very diverse taste in music;  ranging from the saxophone to the bass to electric guitar. Along with Huey Lewis and the News and Tina Turner, I have early childhood memories of my parents blasting music and rocking out in the living room.  To be honest, I actually just had a flashback, and it now makes complete sense why I do the same exact thing to this very day.

My dad is OBSESSED with the Allman Brothers Band.  Long before I was born this obsession began.  He has been to numerous concerts of theirs and every time he talks about Duane Allman dying in a motorcycle accident, he shakes his head and slowly sits down in a chair.  Its sad, but cute.

My mom on the other hand, is a huge fan of Bob Dylan.  For reasons pretty much identical to mine: his voice, his lyrics, his passion, the symbol he has made for himself.  And of course, his music.  

Other bands that make up my past are The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Mamas and Papas, Crosby, Stills & Nash.  Come to think about it, all my bands I've been talking about are the bands I've grown up with.  So I guess we all have my parents to thank for the idea of this blog.

Thanks Mom & Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment